Tuesday 3 January 2017

Scrappy mosaic pot

I love to give handmade gifts, especially those that are pretty and practical and make good use of scraps!

A couple of weeks ago my little man and I made his Granny a mosaic pot for Christmas. We used a pot I found in Ikea (Hjortron plant pot with saucer, beige) as the base and decorated it with a combination of tile scraps (cut up tiles left over from other projects) and decorator pebbles.


After roughing up the pot with course sandpaper we stuck the tiles and pebbles randomly over the surface using a strong PVA glue.


Once the glue had dried we used a basic grout (Dunlop brand, from Bunnings) to fill the gaps between tiles. After the grout had dried I cleaned the tiles with a damp cloth (needless to say the little man was not interested in helping with this step) and added a couple of coats of grout sealer over the grout.


I have to stay that our finished pot looks pretty splendid. Unfortunately our gift to Granny was trumped by a bottle of gin from Daddy.

Once the post-Christmas sales rush dies down I think I'll be heading back to Ikea for a few more of these pots - I'd love to make some more for our garden.

Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment