Thursday 12 January 2017

January Honey Pot Bee block 1

This year I'm joining Molli Sparkles for the Honey Pot Bee, a quilting bee with a difference. In this bee you get to make all of the blocks for yourself.

Each month there are two blocks selected by the 'Queens'. The two blocks for January were chosen by Molli and Angie (Gnome Angel). I've started by making the strawberry block chosen by Angie.


I made my strawberry using different Bonnie and Camille prints and followed Bec's tutorial for a narrower stem. I then turned my block into mini patchwork canvas using a blank canvas, Mod Podge and some buttons.



For those who are interested in how it came together, I've included a few basic steps below. Let me know in the comments if you have any questions :)


I started by selecting a canvas a little bit larger than the block and then added a 3" border to the block.



I covered the canvas with a thick coat of Mod Podge and then placed in face down over the back of the block. I then turned it over and smoothed the block over the canvas, similar to the way I smooth a quilt top over batting when basting.


I then folded the edges over the back of the canvas (kind of like wrapping a present) and stuck them down with a bit more Mod Podge.


Once the Modge Podge had dried, I added a couple of coats of Modge Podge over the outside to seal it. The Modge Podge looks milky going on but dries clear.


I finished the canvas by adding some small buttons with PVA glue.



I had planned to hang it in the kitchen but my little man (a big strawberry lover) claimed it for his bedroom. I guess this just means I'll have to make another one :).

Kat


No comments:

Post a Comment